Hi lovelies. How are you? Today’s blog post is about my review on the novel the Outsiders by S.E. Hinton. This reviews does contain spoilers. Please leave me a comment down below what your thoughts are on this classic work of fiction. hope you have a great day.
Average Rating (GoodReads) – 4.7 / 5
Genre – Classic Fiction
Format – Audiobook
Narrator – Jim Fyfe
Length – 5 hrs
The Outsiders is about two weeks in the life of a 14-year-old boy. The novel tells the story of Ponyboy Curtis and his struggles with right and wrong in a society in which he believes that he is an outsider. According to Ponyboy, there are two kinds of people in the world: greasers and socs. A soc (short for “social”) has money, can get away with just about anything, and has an attitude longer than a limousine. A greaser, on the other hand, always lives on the outside and needs to watch his back. Ponyboy is a greaser, and he’s always been proud of it, even willing to rumble against a gang of socs for the sake of his fellow greasers–until one terrible night when his friend Johnny kills a soc. The murder gets under Ponyboy’s skin, causing his bifurcated world to crumble and teaching him that pain feels the same whether a soc or a greaser.
- I did not have to read this book in grade school.
- One of my Best Friends loves this book and has been wanting me to read this book forever. I am so happy I listened to her.
- Cross between the movies Stand by Me and West Side Story. Both are my favourite movies.
- Loved the aspect of friendship and family that this novel portrayed.
- The novel is easy to get into and keeps your attention.
- Enjoyed Pony Boy as a narrator.
- Offers a theme of everyone is different, yet everyone is the same.
- Favourite character was Johnny. He was such a lovable and broken character. All throughout the book I rooted for this character. I was so upset when he died at the end.
- Everyone needs to read this book because everyone will get something out of it no matter the age.
- I have no cons to this novel.
Plot – 5 stars
Characters – 5 stars
Writing – 5 stars
Pacing – 5 stars
Narrator – 5 stars
Enjoyment – 5 stars
Overall – 5 stars
I highly recommend this novel.
“It seemed funny to me that the sunset she saw from her patio and the one I saw from the back steps was the same one. Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren’t so different. We saw the same sunset.”
S.E. Hinton, The Outsiders